NGOs, research/educational institutions, local government units, non-government and non-profit cultural and higher educational organizations. Individuals are not eligible.
- The proposal must specify a project that aims at promoting culture and education (e.g. preservation of cultural relics, exhibition or performance of cultural activities, promotion of higher education or research). Administrative expenses of the applicant organization are not included.
- The project must directly benefit grassroots activities (preferably projects which involve the local community). The recipient must be the applicant organization and the local community as the direct beneficiaries. It is to be expected that the management, maintenance and administration of the project facilities will directly involve the community.
- As a matter of principle, the project must be implemented locally.
- The project must be included in the list of allowed equipment or activities.
- Promotion of sports activities (preference will be given to Japanese sports)
- Japanese language education
- Promotion of music
- Cultural facilities (Light and sound system in a cultural theatres)
- Preservation of cultural relics
- Projects that are currently receiving aid through some other grant schemes
- Projects that do not directly benefit the grassroots level and are not directly related to cultural activities
- Staff salary
- Electricity and water consumption
- Rent for homes or office
- Fuel and/or gas for vehicles
- Consumables (supplies, etc.)
- Equipment for proponent’s office (e.g. stationery, cellular phones, etc.)
- Land purchase
- Animal dispersal
- Funding for research and/or project conceptualization
- Funding for missionary projects, political activities or activities related to elections,commercial projects, and projects supporting specific doctrines or ideologies, or military projects
- Organization of cultural festivals/performances
- Payment for VAT, customs and duties, registration/license/certification fees, etc.